Training: Improving Mathematics at Key Stage 2 and 3
7 November 2017
Mathematics is widely recognised as essential to a well-rounded education but there remain difficulties and challenges in its teaching in our schools, and a wide attainment gap between disadvantaged pupils and their peers. The Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) believes the best way to change this is through better use of research evidence.
To this end, and to support good maths teaching in Key Stages 2 and 3, the EEF have recently published a guidance report with key recommendations for mathematics teachers and leaders.
These recommendations are:
1. Use assessment to build on pupils’ existing knowledge and understanding
2. Use manipulatives and representations
3. Teach strategies for solving problems
4. Enable pupils to develop a rich network of mathematical knowledge
5. Develop pupils’ independence and motivation
6. Use tasks and resources to challenge and support pupils’ mathematics
7. Use structured interventions to provide additional support
8. Support pupils to make a successful transition between primary and secondary school
The full report is free to access and available here.
Our 3-day training programme will support schools in implementing the recommendations from this guidance report, in a clear and well-structured way. This training is unique to the Research School Network and has been developed in close collaboration with the EEF.
Led by Simon Cox (secondary specialist and director of research school) and Heather Martin (primary specialist and assistant headteacher)
Target audience: All teachers of mathematics, and mathematics subject leaders
Dates: 26 Feb, 30 Apr, 25 Jun (Each day will run from 9:30am – 3:00pm)
Cost: £295 (discount available for multiple delegates, and for Blackpool opportunity area schools – please contact for further information)
Venue: Blackpool Research School, St Mary’s Catholic Academy, St Walburgas Road, Blackpool, FY3 7EQ
Click here for online booking: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScOTBUp9si8jypJcN5ipCGLmMu1JuACIVtxZtbbRTjryLmWzQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
For further details please contact Simon Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted on 7 November 2017
Posted in: Training/CPD
Tags: Education, Key Stage 1, Key Stage 2, Leaders, Learners, Mathematics, Primary Schools, Secondary Schools, Training